Namakkal District is one of the Districts endowed with Moderate rainfall and fairly good forest area. The total forest area in this District is 512.5 Sq.Km which forms about 15% of the geographical area of the District.
HISTORY OF NAMAKKAL FOREST DIVISION :
Namakkal Forest Division was formed as Interface Forestry Division with effect from 22.04.1998, consequent to the formation of Namakkal Revenue District as per G.O.Ms.No.80 (3D) E & F Dt. 18.09.1997. The entire Reserve Forests and Reserve Land areas in Namakkal District over an extent of 51245.065 hectare under the control of District Forest Officer.
District Details and Forest cover details :
- Total District Area : 3413 Sq.Km
- Very Dense Forest Area : 48 Sq.Km
- Moderately Dense Forest Area : 217 Sq.Km
- Open Forest Area : 247 Sq.Km
- Total Forest Cover : 512.5 Sq.Km
Namakkal Division Details :
Namakkal division consisted with 6 Ranges, (4 Territorial Ranges ,1 Forest Protection Squad and 1 Forestry Extension Centre ).
- Tamil Nadu Bio-Diversity Conservation Greening Project: Tree Cultivation in Private Land(TCPL)
- Road Sector Project : Road Avenue Planting.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme – IFM – Planting in Reserve Forest Area.
- Massive Tree Planting: Planting through MGNREGA Labourers
Important Officials Contact Details
- District Forest office,
Namakkal – 637003
Email Id: dmunmk[at]gmail[dot]com
- Namakkal Range office,
Mohanur Main road,
Phone: 04286- 229411.
- Rasipuram Range office,
Attur Main road,
Rasipuram (Po) & (Tk).
- Mullukurichi Range office,
Madhuraiveeran temple near,
Mettala main road,
- Kollihills Range office,
- Forestry Extension Centre,
- First Information officer – Superintendent , O/o The District Forest officer, Namakkal Division, Namakkal.
- First Appealent Authority – The District Forest officer, Namakkal Division, Namakkal.